A typical traditional Austrian dish veganized. Try this vegan Pancake Soup – they are like thin, savory pancakes! Especially great for the colder months.
Okay, I know, this sounds weird but hear me out. Frittatensuppe or loosely translated to Pancake Soup is a typical Austrian dish. So, I grew up with it and it always was my favorite soup. And it still is!
Fun fact: I was a really picky child. Besides not eating any veggies at all, I always went through phases, in which I ate almost only one kind of food for weeks. And I can still remember my frittatensuppe-phase. Good times! I think I drove my mom crazy with my weird eating habits.
The pancakes we want for this soup are savory, very thin pancakes, more like crepes actually! But pancake soup sounds nicer than crepe soup.
While traditional pancake soup is made with egg and milk in the batter, I am simply using flour, salt, and water for the pancakes. If you want, you can also add a pinch of turmeric for a yellow color, a pinch of pepper for more flavor, or a bit of kala namak (Himalayan black salt) for an eggy flavor!
So if you want to try something new, I can highly recommend giving this soup a try! It’s such a comfort food, especially when it’s cold outside. There’s nothing just quite like it!
How to make Austrian Pancake Soup
As always you can find the whole written recipe below, but I want to give you an overview of what you will need and the basic steps first.
For the savory thin pancakes you will need:
- flour (I am using all-purpose wheat flour)
For the soup you will need:
- veggie bouillon powder
- fresh chives
Of course, you can also use veggie stock, or make your own soup from veggie scraps!
The basic steps
I am only showing you how to make the pancakes for the soup because I am sure you can make soup! :)
More delicious soup recipes from the archives
- Vegan Sweet Potato Soup with Coconut Milk
- Easy Vegan Broccoli Soup
- Roasted Pumpkin Soup (Vegan + GF)
- 5-Ingredient Spicy Corn Soup
- Miso Udon Noodle Soup with Mock Abalone
Love it? Rate it!
I hope you enjoy this Austrian Pancake Soup as much as I do! Let me know if you give it a try!
Austrian Pancake Soup (vegan)
Savory, thin pancakes
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup water
- baking spray or oil for the pan
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 small carrots sliced
- 2 1/4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons veggie bouillon powder make sure it's vegan
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- Put the flour and salt in a bowl, give it a mix and add the water. Whisk until there are no clumps left. It should be a very thin crepe-like batter.
- Spray a crepe pan or similar flat pan with oil and bring it to medium heat. Then put in a soup ladle full of the batter and tilt the pan until the batter has spread. It's just like making crepes. Flip once when the crepe is cooked through. The batter should be enough for 4-5 crepes. Then put the pancakes on a cutting board and let them cool off a bit.
- Heat a teaspoon of oil in a medium-sized pot and add the sliced carrots. Let them roast for a minute or two and add the water and veggie bouillon powder. Let it simmer.
- When the pancakes are cold enough to handle, roll them in and slice them.
- Once the soup is hot, divide it into the bowls, add the pancake slices and chives shortly before serving because you don't want them to get too soggy. Enjoy!