A typical traditional Austrian dish veganized. Try this vegan Pancake Soup – they are like savory pancakes! Especially great for the colder months.
Another typical Austrian dish. I’m not completely sure if pancake soup is an appropriate translation for Frittatensuppe, but it’s not that far off, I guess. Although they are much more crepe-like pancakes, if we are being exact here. It is a dish from my childhood, so I really like making this. Especially when it’s colder outside, like the last days have been. It’s truly a comfort food.
The process is pretty much like making crepes. But once they’re done, you roll them in and cut them in stripes. Those will come into the soup later on.
Austrian Pancake Soup (vegan)
Savory, thin pancakes
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup water
- baking spray or oil for the pan
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 small carrots sliced
- 2 1/4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons veggie bouillon powder make sure it's vegan
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- Put the flour and salt in a bowl, give it a mix and add the water. Whisk until there are no clumps left. It should be a very thin crepe-like batter.
- Spray a crepe pan or similar flat pan with oil and bring it to medium heat. Then put in a soup ladle full of the batter and tilt the pan until the batter has spread. It's just like making crepes. Flip once when the crepe is cooked through. The batter should be enough for 4-5 crepes. Then put the pancakes on a cutting board and let them cool off a bit.
- Heat a teaspoon of oil in a medium-sized pot and add the sliced carrots. Let them roast for a minute or two and add the water and veggie bouillon powder. Let it simmer.
- When the pancakes are cold enough to handle, cut them in half, then roll them in and slice them.
- Once the soup is hot, divide it into the bowls, add the pancake slices and chives shortly before serving because you don't want them to get too soggy. Enjoy!
Should you decide to give this veganized Austrian Pancake Soup a try I’d love to hear how it turned out for you! Leave a comment or post a picture on instagram, use the hashtag #elephantasticvegan and tag me via @elephantasticvegan to make sure I’ll see it ^.^ I love to see all your lovely creations! Thanks! <3