A typical traditional Austrian dish veganized. Try this vegan Pancake Soup – they are like savory pancakes! Especially great for the colder months.
Another typical Austrian dish. I’m not completely sure if pancake soup is an appropriate translation for Frittatensuppe, but it’s not that far off, I guess. Although they are much more crepe-like pancakes, if we are being exact here. It is a dish from my childhood, so I really like making this. Especially when it’s colder outside, like the last days have been. It’s truly a comfort food.
The process is pretty much like making crepes. But once they’re done, you roll them in and cut them in stripes. Those will come into the soup later on.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch curry powder
- 1 pinch pepper
- baking spray
- 2 small carrot
- 2 spring onions
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives
- 2-3 cups water for the soup
- 1 tablespoon dry soup seasoning mix make sure it's vegan
- 1 teaspoon sunflower oil
- Put the flour, salt, pepper and curry powder in a bowl, give it a mix and add the water. Mix until there are no clumps left.
- Wash and cut the carrots and spring onion in thin slices/rings.
- Heat a teaspoon of oil in a large pot and add the chopped veggies. Let it roast for a minute or two and add the water for the soup. Let it simmer and add chopped chives and the dry soup mix.
Spray a crepe-pan or similar flat pan with oil and bring on medium heat. Then put in a soup ladle full of the batter and tilt the pan until the batter has spread. It's just like making crepes. Turn once when the edges are slightly getting brown and tilt up.
Then put the pancakes on a cutting board. Let them cool off a bit, roll them in and cut them.
When the soup is done, divide it on the dishes and add the pancake stripes and enjoy. But don't let them in there for too long, because otherwise they'll get soggy.
Should you decide to give this veganized Austrian Pancake Soup a try I’d love to hear how it turned out for you! Leave a comment or post a picture on instagram, use the hashtag #elephantasticvegan and tag me via @elephantasticvegan to make sure I’ll see it ^.^ I love to see all your lovely creations! Thanks! <3