Recipe for Molasses-Free & Vegan Gingerbread Cookies. Easy to make and sweetened with birch sugar. They are the perfect Christmas cookies!
So my goal for these Gingerbread cookies was to make them without molasses. Because I really dislike working with the sticky mess and I end up having leftover molasses in the pantry all year around. And they worked great!
These Christmas cookies get their specific gingerbread taste from the cinnamon and ginger powder. They are softer than usual gingerbread cookies, but simpler to make. If you’re looking for more vegan Christmas cookies, make sure you check out these No-Bake Marzipan Rum Balls or the easiest Christmas cookies ever with only two ingredients!
- 1 1/3 cup white flour , sifted
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger powder
- 2 tablespoons brown rice syrup *
- 1 teaspoon almond milk (or any other plant-based milk)
- 1/3 cup cold vegan butter (EarthBalance, Alsan,...)
- Combine the dry ingredients: Flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon powder and ginger powder. Give it a quick whisk. Add in the rice syrup, vegan butter (cut in small pieces) and almond milk. Fold and knead until it's a smooth dough.
- Cover the dough in plastic wrap and put it in the fridge for about 20 minutes. Meanwhile pre-heat the oven to 80°F/180°C.
- Roll out the dough on a floured surface and cut out cookies with a cookie cutter until all the dough is used up. Transfer them on a baking sheet and bake them in the oven for about 10 minutes. Let them cool off completely, before munching them or decorating them further.
*Instead of rice syrup you could also use agave syrup or maple syrup.
Should you decide to give this christmas recipe a try I’d love to hear how it turned out for you! Leave a comment or post a picture on instagram, use the hashtag #elephantasticvegan and tag me via @elephantasticvegan to make sure I’ll see it ^.^ I love to see all your lovely creations! Thanks! <3