This is a vegan version of the classic Cheesy Spaetzle – a traditional Austrian/German dish! Topped with fried onions and chives. You don’t need eggs for the fluffiest spaetzle if you know my two tricks!
Spaetzle is a typical dish in the German and Austrian area but in traditional recipes, spaetzle are loaded with eggs. I never thought I could veganize this recipe, but turns out, it’s really easy and tastes just as delicious!
For this recipe, I’ve served the vegan spaetzle with a homemade vegan cheese sauce, green leafy salad, and fried onions, but the base recipe for spaetzle can be used for so many other variations! I often serve them with goulash or other creamy sauces like with mushrooms.
You should totally try this recipe for vegan Cheesy Spaetzle though because it’s so good!
How to make vegan Spaetzle that taste and look like the real deal
We’re using two ingredients to make that happen:
- Kala Namak aka Himalayan Black Salt, in its rock-form it’s violet to black, when ground it’s pink in color. Due to its high sulfur content, it’s perfect for all dishes that profit from an “eggy” taste and smell.
- Turmeric powder: When ground it has a deep orange, yellow color which makes it perfect for adding a nice golden/yellow touch!
When you love making spaetzle, you should definitely invest in a spaetzle making device: I’m using a Spaetzle Maker, but there are other options out there as well, such as a spaetzle lid or a spaetzle press.
More Vegan Spaetzle Recipes
I love making spaetzle. I grew up with it and I didn’t want to give it up just because I went vegan. So I just made vegan spaetzle that are just as delicious. Here are more vegan spaetzle recipes I have on the blog:
Cheesy Spaetzle (vegan, egg-free)
Vegan Cheese Sauce
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil or vegan butter (EarthBalance, Alsan,..)
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika powder
- ground pepper
- 1 pinch garlic powder
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 red onion
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- frying oil
- Fill a large pot with water until it's 3/4 full and bring it to a boil.
- Mix flour, turmeric powder and kala namak in a bowl. Add 1 cup water for the spaetzle dough and whisk until it's a sticky and slightly runny dough.
- When the water is boiling you can put the spaetzle maker on top of the pot. Add in the dough and move the spaetzle maker up and down until all the dough is in the water.
- The spaetzle will swim on the surface once they are ready.
- Use a slotted spoon to transfer the spaetzle to a sieve, rinse and drain and then add them back into the pot. Now we're making the cheesy sauce and fried onions!
Vegan Cheese Sauce
- Heat the coconut oil or butter in a small pot on low heat.
- Add the salt, pepper, paprika powder, curry powder & garlic powder.
- Add the flour and whisk.
- Add nutritional yeast, whisk again until clumpy.
- Add the water and whisk on low heat for a few minutes. If it gets too thick you can add a little bit more water and whisk again.
- Pour it over the spaetzle and combine. You can re-heat the spaetzle together with the vegan cheese sauce at this point.
- Cut the onions into rings and put them in a large bowl.
- Add the flour and salt and combine until the onions are coated.
- Heat the frying oil in a small pot or pan, fry the onions until crispy and brown. Place them on a kitchen paper to remove excess oil before adding them to the spaetzle. Sprinkle the spaetzle with chives and enjoy!
Did you make these vegan Cheesy Spaetzle? Leave a comment and please rate the recipe for other users! If you post a photo on instagram, use the hashtag #elephantasticvegan and tag me via @elephantasticvegan to make sure I’ll see it ^.^ I love to see all your lovely creations! Thanks! <3