These delicious PBJ Muffins are filled with homemade strawberry chia jam and topped with Peanut Butter Streusel. So soft and fluffy!
As someone not from the US, I never understood what the big deal was with whole PBJ thing. What a fool I was! Remember the Chocolate Peanut Butter Pancakes? My can’t-get-enough-of-peanut-butter-craze pretty much started with these but it’s not ending here. PB also found its way into these delicious muffins!
The muffins are filled with a super quick and yummy Strawberry Chia Jam and topped with 3-ingredient Peanut Butter Streusel. This is PBJ perfection, I’m telling you! The muffin base is so soft and fluffy.. I’d give anything for a PBJ muffin pillow!
Just like you would make regular streusel, you just use peanut butter instead of butter to make these amazing PB Streusel.
The recipe yields a smaller batch – 4 muffins. I have been baking a lot lately, and I didn’t want to deal with all the leftover muffins from a 12-muffin-tray, that’s why I made a small household-batch. If you need/want more, you can always double/triple the recipe.
Vegan PBJ Muffins with Peanut Butter Streusel
Ingredients for the muffin base
Quick Strawberry Chia Jam
- 1 cup frozen strawberries
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon chia seeds
Ingredients for the Peanut Butter Streusel
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
- For the strawberry chia jam, heat the frozen strawberries in a small pot, add the maple syrup and let them cook on medium heat until soft. Mash them with a fork, add the chia seeds and give it a quick mix. Take the pot off the stove and let it sit for about an hour to thicken.
- Pre-heat oven to 360°F/180°C.
- In a mixing bowl, combine all the dry ingredients for the muffin base, whisk, then add in the wet ingredients for the muffin base and whisk again until it's a smooth batter.
- For the peanut butter streusel: Combine the peanut butter, flour and sugar in a bowl and mash and whisk with a fork until it's nice and crumbly.
- Fill the muffin batter in muffin wrappers or use a lightly oiled muffin pan. Top with about 1 teaspoon strawberry chia jam per muffin and press it into the batter a bit. Sprinkle the peanut butter streusel on top. Bake the muffins in the oven for about 20 minutes until golden. Let them cool off a bit before enjoying them!
Did you make these PBJ Muffins with Peanut Butter Streusel? Tag @elephantasticvegan on instagram and use the hashtag #elephantasticvegan. Don’t forget to subscribe to the Elephantastic Vegan Newsletter to see Reader Remake Features!