These delicious PBJ Muffins are filled with homemade strawberry chia jam and topped with Peanut Butter Streusel. So soft and fluffy!
As someone not from the US, I never understood what the big deal was with whole PBJ thing. What a fool I was! Remember the Chocolate Peanut Butter Pancakes? My can’t-get-enough-of-peanut-butter-craze pretty much started with these but it’s not ending here. PB also found its way into these delicious muffins!
The muffins are filled with a super quick and yummy Strawberry Chia Jam and topped with 3-ingredient Peanut Butter Streusel. This is PBJ perfection, I’m telling you! The muffin base is so soft and fluffy.. I’d give anything for a PBJ muffin pillow!
Just like you would make regular streusel, you just use peanut butter instead of butter to make these amazing PB Streusel.
The recipe yields a smaller batch – 4 muffins. I have been baking a lot lately, and I didn’t want to deal with all the leftover muffins from a 12-muffin-tray, that’s why I made a small household-batch. If you need/want more, you can always double/triple the recipe.
Vegan PBJ Muffins with Peanut Butter Streusel
Ingredients for the muffin base
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour , sifted
- 1 1/2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch baking soda
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil liquid
- 1/3 cup almond milk or your favorite plant-based milk
- 1/4 teaspoon coconut vinegar*
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
Quick Strawberry Chia Jam
- 1 cup frozen strawberries
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon chia seeds
Ingredients for the Peanut Butter Streusel
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
- For the strawberry chia jam, heat the frozen strawberries in a small pot, add the maple syrup and let them cook on medium heat until soft. Mash them with a fork, add the chia seeds and give it a quick mix. Take the pot off the stove and let it sit for about an hour to thicken.
- Pre-heat oven to 360°F/180°C.
- In a mixing bowl, combine all the dry ingredients for the muffin base, whisk, then add in the wet ingredients for the muffin base and whisk again until it's a smooth batter.
- For the peanut butter streusel: Combine the peanut butter, flour and sugar in a bowl and mash and whisk with a fork until it's nice and crumbly.
- Fill the muffin batter in muffin wrappers or use a lightly oiled muffin pan. Top with about 1 teaspoon strawberry chia jam per muffin and press it into the batter a bit. Sprinkle the peanut butter streusel on top. Bake the muffins in the oven for about 20 minutes until golden. Let them cool off a bit before enjoying them!
Did you make these PBJ Muffins with Peanut Butter Streusel? Tag @elephantasticvegan on instagram and use the hashtag #elephantasticvegan. Don’t forget to subscribe to the Elephantastic Vegan Newsletter to see Reader Remake Features!
Sunday 11th of March 2018
Can this be made as a loaf?
Sunday 11th of March 2018
yes, but the baking time will be much longer depending on the size of the loaf pan! :)
Thursday 15th of June 2017
Oh yum! I love the PB&J combo but I've never made anything this good with my fave' duo!
Sunday 18th of June 2017
Then you should give them a try! :)
Natalie | Feasting on Fruit
Wednesday 7th of June 2017
I'm just the weirdo who did actually grow up in the US but still took years to fully appreciate the deliciousness that is PB&J. But it's the best! Actually no, scratch that, PB&J + streusel is THE BEST! These are pure muffin magi-- I love every single bit of them. And if you make any progress on that PB&J muffin pillow concept, count me in as a beta tester :D
Monday 12th of June 2017
At least now we know better! :) I'm sure it wasn't the last eye-opening food combination we've come to love. Ahhh, thankfully there is so much more to explore.