These vegan Chocolate Chip Pancakes are quick and easy to make! Add some chocolate chips into the pancake batter, a couple more to add on top, and drizzle the pancakes with maple syrup. It’s the most perfect breakfast ever!
If you are looking for a super simple vegan pancake recipe for a weekend brunch, this is it. I mean, who doesn’t love pancakes?! And who doesn’t love chocolate?
I’m sure you will love these, because:
- These pancakes are quick to make – 30 minutes max from start to finish.
- You can make the pancake batter in 1 bowl (minimal clean-up!).
- They are made with basic ingredients (flour, baking powder, maple syrup, oil, plant-based milk, banana, chocolate chips – most of them are household staples anyway, right?!).
- They are the fluffiest pancakes ever. Trust me on this one.
- The recipe is highly versatile. Mix it up by adding coconut flakes, fruits (raspberries, blackberries, blueberries, strawberries,…).
How to make Vegan Chocolate Chip Pancakes
You will need:
- a very ripe banana
- plant-based milk – I am using unsweetened rice milk but you can use any milk here
- maple syrup
- flour – I am using all-purpose wheat flour.
- baking powder
- dairy-free chocolate chips – you can use dark or sweet
- baking spray or oil
The basic steps
Making these vegan Chocolate Chip Pancakes is really easy.
As always you can find the whole written recipe at the end of the post. But I want to show you the process step-by-step first:
I like to add a couple more chocolate chips on top and drizzle the pancakes with maple syrup.
Frequently Asked Questions – Pancakes
If your pancakes are golden brown on the outside but not cooked all the way through, reduce the heat! That way they have more time to cook properly.
Add more baking powder! This will make them fluffier. Mashed bananas + baking powder = are a good recipe for fluffiness! :)
No worries, you can easily adjust the batter! If the batter is spreading too much in the pan, whisk more flour into the batter. If your pancake batter isn’t spreading enough, add a bit more plant-based milk!
These pancakes are made completely without white sugar. They are sweetened only with bananas and maple syrup. So I consider these pancakes to be a much healthier alternative to traditional pancakes. Also, they don’t contain any animal products! And there’s only minimal oil. If you want to make these pancakes even healthier, you can use a mix of spelt and wheat flour or use whole wheat flour.
Pancakes without eggs and dairy? It’s totally possible! You don’t even need any weird egg replacement powders. For these pancakes, I’ve used mashed bananas and a bit more baking powder than usual. This results in the fluffiest pancakes ever! And they hold together perfectly. No need for eggs at all! I promise. As for the dairy, I’ve simply used plant-based milk (in this case rice milk but you can use any you want!).
More delicious vegan Pancake Recipes
- Vegan Banana Bread Pancakes with Chocolate Chunks (+Video)
- Apple Sauce Pancakes
- Fluffy Vegan Banana Pancakes
- Plantain Pancakes
- Chunky Monkey Pancakes
- or check out ALL my pancake recipes
Love it? Rate it!
I hope you enjoy these vegan chocolate chip pancakes as much as I do! Let me know if you give them a try!
Vegan Chocolate Chip Pancakes
- 1 very ripe banana
- 3/4 cup unsweetened plant-based milk e.g. rice milk
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup + more to drizzle on top
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips + more to add on top
- baking spray or oil for the pan
- In a bowl, mash the peeled banana, add the plant-based milk and maple syrup. Give it a quick whisk.
- Then add the flour and baking powder. Whisk until incorporated. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Spray a flat pan or griddle with oil and heat it up to medium heat. Add a small ladle of pancake batter*. Let it cook until the middle becomes bubbly and the corners set, then flip with a spatula. Let it cook on the other side until done. Repeat for all the pancakes. You should be able to get 8 pancakes out of the batter.
- Stack the pancakes, add a couple more chocolate chips on top, and drizzle with maple syrup.
- Flip the pancakes when you see small bubbles in the center.
- If your pancakes are golden brown on the outside but not cooked all the way through, reduce the heat!
- Not fluffy enough? Add more baking powder.
- If your pancakes stick to the pan, make sure you use a non-stick pan or griddle and to spray the pan with oil before adding the batter.