You should make this super simple and delicious vegan Plum Cinnamon Streusel Cake and impress your friends/colleagues/family. It’s dairy-free & egg-free.
Summer 2016. This is the time I fell in love with plums all over again. I rediscovered that I love snacking plums on their own, but another way is to make this delicious, soft Plum Cinnamon Streusel Cake. I love how their whole texture, color and flavor changes after baking them.
This recipe is adapted from my Rhubarb Crumble Cake (you should check it out, if you haven’t already!). I love the recipe for 3 reasons:
- the easy one-bowl batter (washing dishes isn’t my favorite thing to do),
- you can add pretty much any fruit on top – I’ve made this cake with blueberries, peaches (oh yeah!) and pears and they all turned out amazing,
- the streusel/crumble adds such a nice component to it and it makes it look so fancy although it’s really easy to make. For this version with plums, I’ve added cinnamon to the streusel – yumm!!
- 13 fresh plums
- 1/2 stick cold vegan butter (EarthBalance, Alsan,...)
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- Wash the plums, half them and remove the seed.
- For the simple one-bowl VANILLA BATTER: Preheat the oven to 360°F/180°C. Place all the dry ingredients for the cake base in a mixing bowl and combine, add the wet ingredients and whisk until it's a smooth batter.
- For the STREUSEL: Put the cold butter, all-purpose flour, cinnamon powder and xylitol (or your preferred granulated sugar) in a bowl, mix and knead with your hands until crumbly.
- ASSEMBLE and BAKE: Oil the baking pan lightly and pour in the cake batter, place the plum halves on the cake batter and press them down a bit. Sprinkle the crumble on top. Bake it in the oven for about about 25 minutes. When the crumble is nice and golden, your cake should be ready. Test with a wooden stick, if it is baked through.
My baking pan for this cake was 10x8" / 26x20cm.
If you give this vegan Plum Cinnamon Streusel Cake a try I’d love to hear how it turned out for you! Leave a comment or post a picture on instagram, use the hashtag #elephantasticvegan and tag me via @elephantasticvegan to make sure I’ll see it ^.^ I love to see all your lovely creations! Thanks! <3