You should make this super simple and delicious vegan Plum Cinnamon Streusel Cake and impress your friends/colleagues/family. It’s dairy-free & egg-free.
Summer 2016. This is the time I fell in love with plums all over again. I rediscovered that I love snacking plums on their own, but another way is to make this delicious, soft Plum Cinnamon Streusel Cake. I love how their whole texture, color and flavor changes after baking them.
This recipe is adapted from my Rhubarb Crumble Cake (you should check it out, if you haven’t already!). I love the recipe for 3 reasons:
- the easy one-bowl batter (washing dishes isn’t my favorite thing to do),
- you can add pretty much any fruit on top – I’ve made this cake with blueberries, peaches (oh yeah!) and pears and they all turned out amazing,
- the streusel/crumble adds such a nice component to it and it makes it look so fancy although it’s really easy to make. For this version with plums, I’ve added cinnamon to the streusel – yumm!!
Plum Cinnamon Streusel Cake
- 13 fresh plums
Ingredients for the vanilla batter
- 1 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil , liquid
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup lukewarm water
Ingredients for the cinnamon streusel
- 1/2 stick cold vegan butter (EarthBalance, Alsan,...)
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- Wash the plums, half them and remove the seed.
- For the simple one-bowl VANILLA BATTER: Preheat the oven to 360°F/180°C. Place all the dry ingredients for the cake base in a mixing bowl and combine, add the wet ingredients and whisk until it's a smooth batter.
- For the STREUSEL: Put the cold butter, all-purpose flour, cinnamon powder, and granulated sugar in a bowl, mix and knead with your hands until crumbly.
- ASSEMBLE and BAKE: Oil the baking pan lightly and pour in the cake batter, place the plum halves on the cake batter and press them down a bit. Sprinkle the crumble on top. Bake it in the oven for about about 25 minutes. When the crumble is nice and golden, your cake should be ready. Test with a wooden stick, if it is baked through.
If you give this vegan Plum Cinnamon Streusel Cake a try I’d love to hear how it turned out for you! Leave a comment or post a picture on instagram, use the hashtag #elephantasticvegan and tag me via @elephantasticvegan to make sure I’ll see it ^.^ I love to see all your lovely creations! Thanks! <3
Monday 3rd of January 2022
Hi there, I made this tonight with Namaste gluten free flour blend, which I thought was cup for cup equal to regular flour. The cake was still tasty but the flour mix was more 'gloppy' and took a lot more of the water to blend. Also took twice the baking time. I will make this cake again with regular flour and again with a different brand of gluten free flour to see how it works. Namaste flour blend has potato starch and tapioca flour in it which may contribute to the different texture and length of baking time.
Friday 17th of July 2020
Nice simple recipe that tastes great. But CAUTION: XYLITOL CAN KILL YOUR PET if your it eats whatever you’ve cooked using Xylitol instead of sugar.
Tuesday 30th of June 2020
Tuesday 30th of June 2020
is there a substitute for the coconut butter?
Wednesday 1st of July 2020
you can use regular apple cider vinegar instead. :)
Sunday 5th of November 2017
Wonderful recipe! The fluffy batter with so little oil is a revelation ;o) I used chunks of apple instead of plums. Next time, I'll mix them into the batter. Speaking of the batter, I believe vanilla may be missing from the ingredients! I used 2 tsp. Thank you so much, Bianca!
Monday 6th of November 2017
Thank you so much for the wonderful feedback, Claudia! I totally forgot about the vanilla but I added it in now. It's my go-to batter for simple cakes. Last summer, I made this exact cake with peaches instead of plums and it was so, so, so good too :)