Onigiri are these cute little Japanese rice balls that Usagi Tsukino aka Sailor Moon was always having in her lunch box. I’ve been a huuuuge fan of the TV show when I was little (I’ve always watched it while doing my homework) and actually rewatched every episode a few years ago. While Usagi only had eyes for her beloved Tuxedo Kamen-sama I was more intrigued by the onigiris.
I always loved the idea of eating little rice balls for lunch, so I made my own version – Vegan Parmesan Crusted Peanut Butter Onigiri. You can use sticky rice or sushi rice for them. I’ve filled them with Peanut Butter and dipped the sides in some homemade Cashew Parmesan.
They’re actually super easy to make and you can fill them with pretty much anything you want – there are so many variations possible. If you want to make them without the Cashew Parmesan, dipping them into black & white sesame seeds would look really pretty too! They’re the perfect snack (or healthy & light main meal), great to take to school or work and kid-friendly.
- Wash the rice until the water stays relatively clear and cook the rice along with the salt (with the lid on) on low heat until the rice absorbed all the water. Pour the brown rice vinegar onto the warm rice and fold it in. Let it cool off completely.
- Cut the nori sheet in 6 strips, so they could go around the bottom of the onigiri.
- Slightly wet your hands (this way it's easier to work with the rice and it's not that sticky) and form 6 balls.
- Press one ball flat in your hand, spread the peanut butter on one side of the circle (leave out the edges) and fold it together. Now form the onigiri in shape.
- Put a nori strip around the bottom. Pour the cashew parmesan on a shallow dish and dip the sides of the onigiri in the vegan parmesan.
- Enjoy! (If you don't serve them immediately, I'd suggest storing them in the fridge)
Should you decide to give these Vegan Parmesan Crusted Peanut Butter Onigiri a try I’d love to hear how it turned out for you! Leave a comment or post a picture on instagram, use the hashtag #elephantasticvegan and tag me via @elephantasticvegan to make sure I’ll see it ^.^ I love to see all your lovely creations! Thanks! <3