In Austria (where I am from), we don’t celebrate Thanksgiving, but this certainly does not keep me from celebrating with my US readers. My boyfriend and I have started to make our own small Thanksgiving celebrations a few years ago. And while it’s mostly about the food for us (who can say no to huge thanksgiving feasts?!), we appreciate having a good reason to go a bit overboard with the food.
And what would a Thanksgiving feast be without from-scratch Cranberry Sauce? A pretty sad dinner, I’d say! And the sauce is too easy, not to make it, so let’s get started!
For this super simple, vegan Cranberry Sauce you only need 3 ingredients: Fresh cranberries, sugar and blood orange juice. Instead of the blood orange juice, you could also use regular orange juice, but I prefer this version much more, because it’s not THAT orange-y tasting and it complements the flavors of the fresh cranberries perfectly. So yeah, this is my spin on from-scratch Cranberry Sauce. I hope you like it!
Easy 3-Ingredient Cranberry Sauce Recipe Video
- 1½ cups fresh cranberries
- ¼ cup white sugar (make sure it's vegan as some US companies use bone char filters)
- ¾ cup blood orange juice (juice can be non-vegan as well, make sure you use a brand that does not use gelatin for filtering)
- In a medium pot, heat the blood orange juice and white sugar on medium-high heat until it dissolved. Bring it to a boil.
- Add in the fresh cranberries. Let it cook for about 10-15 minutes (with the lid off, so the juice can cook down)
- Once the cranberries are soft and broken apart, let the sauce cool down. It will get thicker then.
If you give this simple 3-ingredient Cranberry Sauce a try I’d love to hear how it turned out for you! Leave a comment or post a picture on instagram, use the hashtag #elephantasticvegan and tag me via @elephantasticvegan to make sure I’ll see it ^.^ I love to see all your lovely creations! Thanks! <3