Recipe for a vegan Gooseberry Chocolate Cake Tarte. Super easy to make and delicious. It’s the perfect dessert if you have an abundance of gooseberries.
If you’re having too many gooseberries and you don’t know what to do with them – this recipe is perfect for it! Gooseberries are native in Europe, North Africa and parts of Asia and they belong to the family of ribes (which also the black currant is part of). In the baked form the gooseberries reminded me a lot of cherries – for me they taste very similar. In the raw form I thought there were gelled up chia seeds in there – so weird! The cake with the gooseberries is super fluffy, chocolatey and summery.
I think gooseberries look so funny with their little hairy skin – like an angry pufferfish. For the recipe I’ve used red gooseberries, that I’ve gotten from a friend. But you can use yellow gooseberries too of course if you have those at hand!
This is the cake in the unbaked status – just toss the gooseberries in the batter.
I’ve made the cake rather flat, but it really depends on the baking dish you’re using. You can double the chocolate cake recipe, but keep in mind that it will take longer in the oven.
Vegan Gooseberry Chocolate Cake Tarte
- Pre-heat oven to 360°F/180°C.
- In a mixing bowl, combine all the dry ingredients except the gooseberries, whisk, then add all the wet ingredients and whisk again until it's a smooth batter.
- Wash and pick off the green ends from the gooseberries.
- Fill the batter in the tarte form and top with the gooseberries, put it in the oven for about 15 minutes. (Use the Toothpick Method to make sure the dough is done in the middle.)
- Enjoy your delicious fruity chocolate treat!
*I've used Dextrose in this recipe which is a fructose-free sugar, but you can sub it with your preferred granulated sweetener.
Did you make these vegan Gooseberry Chocolate Cake Tartes? Tag @elephantasticvegan on instagram and use the hashtag #elephantasticvegan. Don’t forget to subscribe to the Elephantastic Vegan Newsletter to see Reader Remake Features!