Did you know you can make delicious Vegan Fried Rice with “egg” but without actually using any eggs? We’re using tofu as our egg scramble – it’s amazing! Thanks to a little secret ingredient it will taste just like regular eggs. You will love it! And it’s much healthier than traditional fried rice.
Eggy Fried Rice was always my meal of choice when going to Chinese restaurants. I used to love the small bits of veggies. The crispy egg scramble. It’s such a simple but satisfying meal.
Now, I usually just make this dish at home – but I veganized it. Instead of eggs, I’m using tofu scramble. It gives the meal the same taste and texture.
We’re using much less oil than in restaurants, so it’s a lot healthier. And of course, there’s no cholesterol because there are no animal products.
As for the veggies, I’ve used carrots and broccoli. Because that’s what I had at home. Of course, you can use your favorite veggies. Use whatever you have at home. This is the ideal leftover meal!
The Secret Ingredient: Kala Namak
Kala Namak is Himalayan black salt, in its rock-form it’s violet to black, when ground it’s pink in color. Due to its high sulfur content, it’s perfect for all dishes that profit from an “eggy” taste and smell. It’s unreal. You have to try it to understand it. It literally changed my cooking so much!
> You can find more info on Kala Namak and my favorite recipes using it in my Kala Namak post!
I almost couldn’t believe my eyes when I saw this Sriracha Mayo in my fav Asian grocery store. I was psyched I finally found it. I read the ingredient label at least 3 times, how cool is it, that it’s vegan?! I’ve been worried that it might be too spicy for me, but nope, it’s great! I’ve added a nice drizzle of Sriracha Mayo on top of this Vegan Fried Rice. LOVE LOVE LOVE.
How to make Vegan Fried Rice with “Egg” using tofu
Love it? Rate it!
I hope you will enjoy this easy meal as much as I did! Let me know if you give it a try!
And don’t forget to rate the recipe if you like it, this helps other users figure out if they are worth a try!
Vegan Fried Rice with “Egg”
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 cup firm tofu
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon kala namak
- 2 small carrots
- 1 1/2 cups broccoli florets
- 1/2 red onion sliced
- 1 1/2 cups cooked & cold rice I use parboiled rice
- 1/3 cup peas defrosted
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce + more to taste
- Pulse broccoli and carrots in a food processor until small.
- In a large pan with oil over high heat, crumble the tofu, add kala namak and curry powder. Mix well. Let it cook for about 7-10 minutes until slightly browned. Then make space in the pan for the broccoli and carrots. Also, add the sliced red onion.
- Once the broccoli and carrots are soft, make space in the pan for the rice and peas. Add soy sauce over the rice. Let it cook for 3-4 minutes until everything’s hot.
- Mix well. At this point, you can add a bit more oil and let it cook for 1-2 more minutes over high heat to crisp up the rice.
- Then serve and enjoy! You can add Sriracha Mayo or Sriracha on top!