Sautéed chanterelles with shallots, salad, and cherry tomatoes in pita pockets – chanterelle pitas are the perfect way to celebrate chanterelle season!
I’ve got a thing for mushrooms, but I really, really, really love chanterelles. They’re my fav! So I’m always super excited when I spot the first chanterelles in the stores. While I usually toss chanterelles on pizza or make a creamy chanterelle sauce over pasta or with rice, this time they went into fluffy pita pockets. Together with chopped salad and cherry tomatoes, this was the perfect way to make the best out of chanterelle season. The chanterelles are sautéed together with shallots until golden brown.
These vegan Chanterelle Pitas are the perfect lunch! You can also prepare the chanterelle mixture ahead – it’s good hot or cold. I wanted to keep the chanterelle flavor in the focus, so I refrained from adding an additional sauce to it. The crispy chopped salad and the sweet cherry tomatoes added a nice touch to it, without stealing the chanterelle’s spotlight.
Vegan Chanterelle Pitas
- 1 1/2 cups chanterelles , cleaned & halved if large
- 3 shallots , finely diced
- salt to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon olive oil
- 4 cherry tomatoes , sliced
- 1 cup lettuce , chopped
- 4 pita pockets
- Heat a sauce pan, add the olive oil and the finely diced shallots. Let it cook until they are starting to get soft, then add the chanterelles. Season with a few pinches of salt. Let them sear for a couple of minutes until they start to get brown spots like in the photos!
- Cut the pita pockets open, fill them with the chopped salad, sliced cherry tomatoes, sautéed chanterelles and shallots. Enjoy!
Estimated Nutrition Info
If you give these Chanterelle Pitas a try I’d love to hear how they turned out for you! Leave a comment or post a picture on instagram, use the hashtag #elephantasticvegan and tag me via @elephantasticvegan to make sure I’ll see it ^.^ I love to see all your lovely creations! Thanks! <3