This is a super simple recipe for 2-Ingredient Sweet Potato Gnocchi. They are vegan and you’ll only need sweet potatoes and all-purpose flour! No kneading required, you can make the dough in your food processor.
My mom brought me a whole box of sweet potatoes (huge ones!) and I wanted to put them to good use. So this is the first one of the recipes made with the lovely sweet potatoes: Sweet Potato Gnocchi with only 2-ingredients.
Gnocchi are such a comfort food for me. And I don’t even care if they are smothered in a creamy sauce or pan-fried until crispy. I like them both ways.
If you have never made gnocchi from scratch, you can start with this basic vegan gnocchi recipe or jump right to these Sweet Potato Gnocchi – they aren’t hard to make at all. 2 ingredients. No kneading. You can make the dough in a food processor. No fancy equipment required. I also have a recipe for Crispy Pumpkin Gnocchi on the blog if you’re looking for more fall-inspired gnocchi recipes.
The Ingredients for Sweet Potato Gnocchi
These gnocchi are made with sweet potatoes (duh!) and all-purpose flour. I haven’t added any salt into the gnocchi dough, but rather added salt when pan-frying them with olive oil and cremini mushrooms. That way you have better control over how much salt you add.
I also added a few sprigs of fresh dill on top because 1) this is the only herb I have at the moment (I just moved and am still settling in!) and 2) sweet potato and dill is such a great combo.
How to make Vegan Sweet Potato Gnocchi
Absolutely! After boiling them, drain them, rinse them under cold water, let them cool off, fill them into a ziplock bag or freezer-safe glass container and freeze for up to a couple of months.
If you want to use your frozen gnocchi, boil them in a pot of water again until they float on top (make sure to try one gnocchi so that they are not frozen in the middle), then pan-fry or add the sauce. They are good as new!
More Vegan Gnocchi Recipes
I hope you’ll enjoy this gnocchi dish as much as I do! You can always experiment with adding different herbs, spices, and add-ins!
Let me know if you give this recipe a try! I’d love to hear how it turns out for you.
2-Ingredient Sweet Potato Gnocchi
2-Ingredient Sweet Potato Gnocchi
- 1 very large sweet potato (about 400g)
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour + more flour for dusting the workspace (be generous with the flour to avoid sticky dough)
- 4 cremini mushrooms (per serving)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt to taste
- fresh dill
- Peel the sweet potato, cut it in cubes and boil it until soft (it’s better to overcook than undercook!). Drain it. Rinse with cold water. Drain again.
- Add the sweet potato to your food processor. Pulse until mashed. Add the flour and pulse again until it comes together in a ball. Feel free to add more flour if it’s too sticky.
- Transfer the dough onto a floured surface. Be generous with the flour. Form a ball. Cut the dough into 8 pieces. Roll each piece into a rope. Cut the individual gnocchi and roll them over a gnocchi board or fork to create the authentic look (or skip this step and make cute gnocchi pillows instead).
- Bring a large pot with water to a boil. Transfer the gnocchi into the boiling water (work in batches) and let them cook until they swim on top. Use a skimming spoon to drain them, if you are not using them immediately rinse them under cold water and set aside.
- Now you can use the sweet potato gnocchi however you like. I pan-fried them until crispy in olive oil, added sliced cremini mushrooms, salt, and fresh dill.