Recipe for super simple Pumpkin & Potato Rösti without eggs! Serve with a delicious (vegan) yogurt dip or on salad. Delicious!
Rösti are typical potato fritter from the german/swiss area. Raw potatoes are grated, mixed with spices, a bit of flour and then pan-fried. And while it’s fall, I loved adding a grated hokkaido pumpkin to the mix. Chickpea flour is used to bind the patties together in this recipe, it’s one of my favorite binding agents (who needs eggs?!). Freshly chopped parsley and different basic spices such as curry powder, cinnamon, salt and ground pepper complement the flavor.
Rösti are delicious with a soy yogurt dip, on a salad or even in a sandwich! Sooo many possibilies!
The ingredients for these Pumpkin & Potato Rösti are fairly simple. A hokkaido pumpkin, potatoes, fresh parsley, chickpea flour (for binding) and basic spices – salt, pepper, cinnamon, curry powder. I love recipes that can be made with minimal shopping :)
Making the Rösti is pretty quick, however you’ll want to let the raw potato mixture with the spices sit for about 15 minutes, so it can get softer and the flour can incorporate better with the potato juices.
Pumpkin & Potato Rösti
Ingredients for the Rösti
- 1/2 hokkaido pumpkin
- 4 middle-sized potatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons besan/chickpea flour
- plant-based oil for the pan
Ingredients for the yogurt dip
- 1/2 cup unsweetened soy yogurt
- salt to taste
- ground pepper
- 1 pinch paprika powder
- 1 pinch curry powder
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh chives
For the yogurt dip
- Mix all ingredients given for the yogurt dip. Add the salt to taste.
For the Rösti
- Remove the seeds from the pumpkin and peel it. Peel the potatoes as well. Grate the pumpkin and potatoes finely and put the shreds in a large enough mixing bowl.
- Add salt, pepper, cinnamon powder, curry powder and chopped parsley and mix. Let it sit for about 15 minutes.
- Once the potatoes are softer, add the chickpea flour and mix again. Add more chickpea flour if the shreds don't stick together.
- In a large pan add enough oil to cover the bottom and turn it to medium to high heat. When it's hot, form little balls with the pumpkin-potato-mixture and put it in the pan. Then flatten it with a spatula or your hand, depending on how adventurous you are.
- Fry the rösti for about 5 minutes on each side - until golden-brown. Remove excess oil by putting them on a kitchen paper before placing them on the plate. Enjoy!
If you give these vegan Pumpkin & Potato Rösti a try I’d love to hear how it turned out for you! Leave a comment or post a picture on instagram, use the hashtag #elephantasticvegan and tag me via @elephantasticvegan to make sure I’ll see it ^.^ I love to see all your lovely creations! Thanks! <3