Vegan Orzo Pasta recipe with Roasted Vegetables is the perfect meal for the summer. It is loaded with fresh veggies, parsley, and is giving me all the Mediterranean vibes.
I love, love, love orzo pasta as a base for simple and delicious summer meals! It took me exactly 30 years to finally give orzo a try! And now I am obsessed. Grah, why did I wait so long?!
Orzo. Is it rice? Is it pasta? It’s the best out of two worlds.
What is Orzo?
Orzo is rice-shaped pasta. You may also now it as risoni or kritharáki. It can be made from white flour or whole grain. For my recipes, I am using white flour orzo because this is the only one that supermarkets around here carry.
I love this pasta dish because:
- orzo + roasted veggies + olive oil + lemon juice + fresh herbs are giving me Mediterranean vibes!
- it is delicious hot or cold!
- it is versatile. You can add all kinds of veggies!
- it is quick and easy to make.
- it’s oh-so-delicious.
- it’s a new pasta shape (at least for me)!
How to make Orzo Pasta with Roasted Vegetables
You will need:
- orzo pasta
- lemon juice
- olive oil
- fresh parsley
- red bell pepper
- cherry tomatoes
As for the veggies, you can try all kinds of combinations and use whatever you have at home.
The basic steps
More vegan recipes for the summer
- Grilled Flatbread
- Vegan Sushi Bowl
- Vegan Taco Salad Bowl with Walnut Meat
- Tofu & Rice Noodle Bowl with Peanut Sauce
Love it? Rate it!
I hope you enjoy this Orzo Pasta as much as I do! Let me know if you give it a try!
Orzo Pasta with Roasted Vegetables
- 1 cup orzo pasta uncooked
- 3 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 1 1/2 cups eggplant diced
- 1 1/2 cups zucchini diced
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper chopped
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes quartered
- 1/2 cup green pitted olives sliced
- 1 onion diced
- 1/3 cup fresh parsley + more to add on top
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Step 1: Boil the orzo pasta in a pot with water. Like regular pasta. When cooked, drain, rinse with cold water, set aside.
- Step 2: Cut the veggies: Dice the eggplant, zucchini, onion, chop the red bell pepper, slice the olives, quarter the cherry tomatoes.
- Step 3: In a large pan with olive oil, add first the zucchini and eggplant – cook until soft. Then add the onion – cook until soft. Then make room in the pan for the red bell pepper, olives, and cherry tomatoes and cook until soft. Then add the orzo pasta, fresh parsley, lemon juice, and salt. Let it cook a few more minutes, then stir to combine. Add the orzo and veggies onto plates and sprinkle with fresh parsley.