If your dog loves carrots as much as mine, he will go crazy for these crispy Carrot Dog Biscuits! They are the perfect treat for your furry friend. And the best part: you’ll only need 5 ingredients to make them!
When I got Miso, I’ve let him try different veggies and fruits (after googling if they are safe for dogs, of course!) to find out what he likes. He went crazy over carrots. That was a pleasant surprise because carrots are one of the staple veggies for me. I like them, he likes them, we all like carrots. Perfect!
So after the peanut butter dog treats, I wanted to make cookies that are a bit crispier. That’s when these Carrot Dog Biscuits happened. They have the perfect size to put them into his kong bone toy.
You’ll only need 5 ingredients for these vegan Carrot Dog Biscuits:
- whole wheat flour
- oat flour
- all-purpose flour
- cinnamon powder
- carrot purée (homemade by blending carrots with water)
You can replace one flour with another if you don’t have all of these at home.
In February 2018, I finally adopted a dog (after years of wanting to have one)! I named him Miso and he was five months old when I got him. He’s the cutest dog ever.
He LOVES food and sleeps and he rather stays in than to go outside – I couldn’t have found a better friend! :D His favorite activities right now are playing Hide and Seek and catching tennis balls. If you want to see more of Miso – follow his Instagram account.
How to make Carrot Dog Biscuits
Roll the dough out to about 1/2 inch – 1-2 cm. Otherwise, it will take longer to bake.
The recipe makes a huge batch! I’ve used a small flower cookie cutter (that came in a set of small cookie cutters), they are the ideal sizes for Miso. I was able to get about 130 cookies! (Can you imagine how much these dog cookies would cost in a store?!)
If you have a larger dog, you can use a larger cookie cutter. If you don’t want to cut out cookies, you can also use a pizza cutter to make doggie crackers (it’s a much faster alternative if you don’t have a lot of time at your hands).
I love that you can get that many cookies out of a batch! The cookies store really well (if you bake them all the way through and let them cool off completely before placing them in an airtight container).
You can spend A LOT OF $$$ for vegan dog treats in stores. Making them at home is inexpensive, fun, you have full control over the ingredients and of course, you can add the most important ingredient: love!
Carrot Dog Biscuits
- 1/2 cup carrot purée *see step 2
- 1/3 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup oat flour
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 pinch cinnamon powder
- Preheat the oven to 400°F/200°C.
- Blend 2 carrots with 1/3 cup water. It doesn't have to be super smooth.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flours and cinnamon powder. Add the carrot purée and stir to combine with a large spoon, then use your hands to make a smooth dough. If it's too sticky - add more all-purpose flour; if it's too crumbly - add more water or carrot purée.
- Roll out the dough on a floured parchment paper until it's approx. 1/2 inch (1-2 cm) thick. Cut out the cookies. Transfer the cookies onto a baking tray lined with parchment paper. Knead together the leftover dough, roll it out again, cut out cookies until you've used all the dough.
- Bake the doggie biscuits for about 15 minutes until crispy! Let them cool off completely before giving them to your dog or filling them into an airtight container for storage.
Estimated Nutrition Info
If you give these vegan Carrot Dog Biscuits a try, let me know if your furry friend likes them! If you post a photo on instagram, use the hashtag #elephantasticvegan and tag me via @elephantasticvegan to make sure I’ll see it ^.^