Recipe for a vegan PBJ Coconut Bacon Sandwich. The homemade strawberry jam and coconut bacon brings this PBJ sandwich to the next level!
Not too long ago, I discovered the magical combination of peanut butter and jelly – well, in my case, I like to use homemade strawberry chia jam. And it’s definitely a match made in heaven.
As someone who didn’t grow up in the US, it was never on my mind to combine these two ingredients – I didn’t even know what I’ve been missing out on. Fact is, only in recent years stores started stocking up on peanut butter here and I think this has to do with the ‘new’ demand for peanut butter because it’s used in lots of recipes and thanks to the internet we are more aware of the possible peanut butter recipes. So, yes, thank you internet, for giving us peanut butter.
Lately I’ve been playing with different PBJ recipes and this one is probably one of the weirdest – but it’s so good!
Peanut butter out of 100% roasted peanuts + homemade quick Strawberry Chia Jam + Coconut Bacon between two toasted bread slices. This is what dreams are made of. Well, at least my crazy dreams!
Vegan PBJ Coconut Bacon Sandwiches
- 4 slices white bread
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter
- 1/4 teaspoon coconut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1/2 teapoon liquid smoke
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup coconut chips
Quick Strawberry Chia Jam
- 1/2 cup frozen strawberries
- 1/2 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon chia seeds
- Preheat oven to 350°F/180°C.
- Combine coconut oil, soy sauce, maple syrup, liquid smoke and salt in a bowl. Whisk together. Then add the coconut chips and mix until they're coated with the mixture.
- Transfer the coconut chips to a baking tray lined with parchment paper and lay flat.
- Bake them in the oven for about 10-15 minutes keeping a close eye on them and flipping them once or twice.
- Once they are golden and crispy, they're done.
Strawberry Chia Jam
- Heat the frozen strawberries in a small pot, add the maple syrup and let them cook on medium heat until soft.
- Mash them with a fork, add the chia seeds and give it a quick mix. Take the pot off the stove and let it sit for about half an hour to thicken.
- Spread peanut butter (about 1 tablespoon) on one side of the bread slices. Spread the strawberry jam (about 1 1/2 tablespoons) on the second bread slice. Sprinkle the coconut bacon (about 1 tablespoon) on top. Press the bread slices together and grill them on a contact grill or grilling pan until brown on both sides. Sprinkle with more coconut bacon and enjoy!
Estimated Nutrition Info
Did you make this vegan PBJ Coconut Bacon Sandwich? Tag @elephantasticvegan on instagram and use the hashtag #elephantasticvegan. Don’t forget to subscribe to the Elephantastic Vegan Newsletter to see Reader Remake Features!