Donuts are great, but I’m not too fond of the whole frying process and having so much leftover oil, that’s why baked donuts are for me such a great alternative! For the majority of baked donuts recipes you’ll have to have a donut pan, but not in this one. The dough is firm enough to cut out the donut shapes with two glasses or with a glass and an apple corer (like I did). I colored the glaze with a little bit of beet juice and added some rosewater for the taste. Not to forget about the pistachios on top :)
Remember the Pink Beet Cupcakes? They are part of the 11 Colorful Dessert Recipes-Roundup posted on My Wife Makes. It’s such a wonderful collection of pretty desserts, you should totally check it out! Also I love the My Wife Makes-Blog!
And if you liked my Orange Rosemary Punch, that was my entry for the Virtual Vegan Potluck this december, you can vote for me and your other favorite dishes in the Virtual Vegan Potluck Poll. (I’m in the beverages- and in the featured ingredients-section winkwink)
- 2 cups / 250g all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon of active dry yeast
- ¼ cup / 50g white sugar
- ¼ cup / 60ml canola oil
- ⅓ cup / 80ml warm almond milk
- ⅔ cup / 65g confectioner's sugar
- 1 teaspoon of beet juice
- 2 teaspoons of water
- ½ teaspoon of rosewater
- 1 teaspoon of corn starch
- chopped pistachios (raw, unsalted, unshelled)
- Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl, add in the wet ingredients and knead until it's a soft dough.
- Cover and let the dough rest in a warm place for about an hour.
- Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface about ½ inch high.
- Cut out the donuts with a drinking glass. For the middle part you can use a shot glass or an apple corer.
- Place the donuts on a baking sheet, cover them with a clean kitchen towel and let them rest for about half an hour.
- Meanwhile pre-heat your oven to 400°F/200°C.
- Bake them for about 10 minutes. Let them cool off before applying the glazing.
- Mix all the above ingredients (except the pistachios) in a mixing bowl and whisk until it's a smooth glazing.
- Dip in the donuts and sprinkle them with chopped pistachios.