No-Milk Slices are a vegan and healthier alternative to traditional german Milk Slices (Milchschnitten).
These No-Milk Slices are a vegan and healthier alternative to Milk Slices (Milchschnitten), which are a popular food item (mainly) for kids in Germany and Austria. These homemade No-Milk Slices are not too sweet, but rather chocolate-y, you can add more sugar if you want. I’ve used dextrose for the sugar, but you can sub it easily with whatever sweetener you prefer. For the filling I used some Whip Cream, here you can use any whip cream that’s available to you or sub it with some Coconut Whip Cream.
- 1 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup dextrose*
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup soyatoo soy whip or use whipped coconut cream
- Prepare the filling by mixing the soy whip until firm. Keep it in the fridge for the time being.
- Pre-heat oven to 400°F/180°C.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the flour, sugar, baking powder and cocoa. Add in the oil and water and mix with a handmixer until there aren't any lumps in the batter anymore.
- Place a baking sheet on a baking tray and pour the mixture onto the paper.
- Spread the batter over the whole baking sheet and flatten the batter with a spatula. The batter should be as even as possible.
- Bake it for about 8-10 minutes in the oven.
- Let it cool off completely before cutting the edges away and cut the thin cake in half.
- Carefully remove the baking paper.
- Turn one half of the cocoa cake upside down.
- Pour the filling on the cake with the not so pretty side and top it with the other half of the cake.
- Cut the slices with a sharp knife and remove excess filling on the borders.
- Keep them in the fridge when you're not serving them immediately!
Estimated Nutrition Info
Did you make these vegan No-Milk Slices? Tag @elephantasticvegan on instagram and use the hashtag #elephantasticvegan. Don’t forget to subscribe to the Elephantastic Vegan Newsletter to see Reader Remake Features!